background

School History

Original School House 1922

Hampton Park was developed as part of a subdivision of land after World War 1.  The land was originally covered in redgums and there are still many in the school grounds today.  They provide great shade for our students and are a great attraction to the wide variety of birdlife in the area.

Hampton Park Primary School was built by Mr Robjant and opened on February 5th, 1922 with 38 students in a one roomed school house, which is still being used as a classroom today.

Electricity was connected in Hampton Park in 1942 and town water in 1961.  Until these services were connected the school relied on lamps and tank water for their light and water needs.  In 1956, more classrooms were added as the number of students continued to grow and the school has undergone several renovations since then.  The most recent building addition was in 2011, when a learning centre which now houses all our Foundation to Grade 2 classes was opened.

In 2012, the school celebrated its 90th Birthday with a whole school assembly, games and a sausage sizzle.

Whilst the physical environment and the number of students has changed over its 90 years, the one thing that has remained the same is that Hampton Park Primary School has provided an excellent education for its students, giving them the skills and knowledge to be successful citizens in a world that continues grow and develop in new ways.

Other important events that occurred in 1922

Famous inventions
Insulin
Vegemite
milk shake blender
electric kettle

Famous People Born in 1922
Judy Garland, who played Dorothy in the original Wizard of Oz movie
Neville Bonner, the first indigenous Federal Member of Parliament
Christopher Lee, famous actor

Other interesting information
Tutankhamen’s tomb was discovered in Egypt
Qantas Airlines began regular air services
Beaurepaires Tyre Company began
Reader’s Digest was first published
Fitzroy beat Collingwood in the Grand Final of the Victorian Football League